2020 Graduation Update
Upper Sandusky High School
The Ohio Department of Education and the Ohio Department of Health have set strict guidelines concerning High School Graduation Ceremonies. They have released a few options for us to choose from which allow us to pick a scenario that works best for our student population and geographic set up. The USEVS administration has worked hand-in-hand with the Wyandot County Health Department and the Upper Sandusky Police Department to create a graduation ceremony option that we believe will offer the graduates and their families a memorable experience while keeping safe practices in mind.
Graduation will take place in a Drive-thru fashion on Thursday, May 21 at 7:00
- Students and their families will drive up to the school in a procession style with the graduate sitting in the front passenger seat. Only vehicles with a graduate in the front passenger seat will be permitted on school property.
- Families will enter the school property from the SW - Houpt Drive. As vehicles enter, school personnel will direct you to the waiting area. No one will be permitted to exit the vehicle while waiting. Please do not plan on arriving at the school any earlier than 6:45 pm.
- While you are waiting, school personnel will tape a paper with the graduate’s name on the passenger side of the car. This will be used to announce the graduate.
- Promptly at 7:00 pm, we will begin the procession.
- Vehicles will proceed in line toward the main doors of the high school. When the vehicle reaches the graduation display, school personnel will let the graduate know when it is acceptable for him/her (only) to exit the vehicle.
- While the graduate walks up to the table to collect his/her diploma, Mrs. Stanton will read the graduate’s name.
- The graduate will turn to face the vehicle, turn his/her tassel, have a photo taken, return to the vehicle and the family drives away. All vehicles will exit school property to the RIGHT.
The ceremony will be streamed live on the USEVS Facebook page
* Upper Sandusky Police Department will have Houpt Dr closed from N Sandusky Ave to N 8th St. to eliminate unnecessary traffic flow. *
Videos of the Valedictorian, Salutatorian, Commencement speeches and tassel turning ceremony will be pre-recorded and added to a slideshow containing each graduate in his/her cap & gown. The video will be released on the high school website and sent directly to each graduate’s family.
We encourage families to decorate their vehicles. This will bring a bit of personal whimsy to the procession.
We understand this is not how our graduates envisioned their graduation ceremony and we truly empathize with them. We are reminded of the words of William Shakespeare, “It is not in the stars to hold our destiny, but in ourselves”. We cannot let this time of uncertainty get us down or determine our next steps. It is our responsibility to dig deep within ourselves, forge ahead with our dreams and make the most of this situation.
Sincerely, Laurie Vent Tasha Stanton Corrina Waggy
Superintendent Principal Assistant Principal