For students entering ninth grade on or after July 1, 2019, Ohio's new high school graduation requirements give them more flexibility to choose a graduation pathway that builds on their strengths and passions. In addition to earning the minimum of 21 credits (as outlined above in USHS' course requirements for graduation), students must then "Show Competency" AND "Show Readiness."
The first way to show competency is by earning a passing score on the State of Ohio's Algebra I and ELA II End-of-Course tests. Students who do not pass the test will be offered additional support and must retake the test at least once. Currently, the State of Ohio has defined a "passing score" as a 684 or higher.
If you are unable to show competency through End-of-Course testing, you have three additional options for showing competency.
1) Demonstrate two career-focused activities (at least one of the two must be from Foundational)
- Proficient scores on WebXams
- A 12-point industry credential
- A pre-apprenticeship or acceptance into an approved apprenticeship program
- Work-based learning
- Earn the required score on WorkKeys
- Earn the OhioMeansJobs Readiness Seal
2) Enlist in the Military
- Show evidence that you have signed a contract to enter a branch of the U.S. armed services upon graduation
3) Complete College Coursework
- Earn credit for one college-level math and/or college-level English course through Ohio's CCP program.
In order to show readiness, a student must earn two of the following diploma seals, choosing those that line up with their goals and interests. These seals allow a student to demonstrate academic, technical, and professional skills and knowledge that align with their passions, interests, and planned next steps after high school. At least one of the two seals must be Ohio-designed.
- OhioMeansJobs Readiness Seal (Ohio)
- Industry-Recognized Credential Seal (Ohio)
- College-Ready Seal (Ohio)
- Military Enlistment Seal (Ohio)
- Citizenship Seal (Ohio)
- Science Seal (Ohio)
- Honors Diploma Seal (Ohio)
- Seal of Biliteracy (Ohio)
- Technology Seal (Ohio)
- Community Service Seal (Locally-defined)
- Fine and Performing Arts Seal (Locally-defined)
- Student Engagement Seal (Locally-defined)
Click HERE to view a handout from the Ohio Department of Education reviewing these requirements.