It is wise for students to begin a specific course of study relating to a particular career no later than their freshman year. Choosing an area of study allows a student to meet all of the requirements necessary to enter college or the workforce right after completing high school.
There are over 80 colleges in the state of Ohio alone. College entrance requirements vary between different colleges and universities. Each of these schools have their own requirements and deadlines. Students should check individual college catalogs for this specific information. Most four-year universities want students to have taken the following curriculum:
- 4 units of College-Prep English
- 3 units of College-Prep Mathematics
- 3 units of College-Prep Science
- 3 units of College-Prep Social Studies
- At least 2 units of a Foreign Language (3 units may be preferred)
- 1 unit of Fine Arts
Students are encouraged to take more credits within math and science if their chosen career indicates the need.